Wednesday, July 9, 2014

My Opinion

I’m not too sure what I like.  The topic of "like" came up when a friend asked me what  my last meal would be if I had to choose.  We were browsing through this buzzfeedarticle about last meals and found them all rather boring.  However, when I tried to think of my own I could not do much better.

Then I started thinking about my opinion on things: I don’t really have a strong one.  When I was younger I used to have strong opinions about what I liked. 

  •      I wanted to be a writer
  •           I loved swimming
  •           I loved reading
  •           I loved hamsters
  •      My favorite foods were my mom’s macaroni and cheese or wonton noodle soup with my dad

I don’t know what happened, but as I started getting older I started having less and less of an opinion or my own voice.

That’s it – I lost my voice.  I don’t know if it had to do with my relationship with my dad going downhill or the fact that I was sick for quite a long time, but I forgot who I was.  And with my personality, my individuality, and my simply being went my voice.

This is a topic I can dwell on heavily, and there is much more to it than simply having an opinion about a last meal.  I need to figure out again how I want to define myself.  I need to try to understand what it means to have an opinion, to have strong likes and dislikes, and to have a voice that I am proud of. 

I still don’t know what my last meal will be, but I plan on having an opinion on that by the end of this week.  

For now – what would yours be?

No comments:

Post a Comment